Plenty of events going on this weekend and in the days ahead! Enjoy!
You can always find more events on our Calendar of Events or under the community link right here on PAHomepage.com
The Music Box Player presents "Annie" at the Music Box Dinner Playhouse, 196 Hughes St., Swoyersville performances 9-10, 15-17 and 22-24. Show times Friday and Saturday at 8 pm, Sunday at 3 pm For reservations, call 283-2195
Playing the title role of Annie is 9-year-old Abbigail Schultz. Click Here to see Abbigail's performance on PA Live. Click Here to see Abbigail's singing "Tomorrow"
*Goodwill in Fashion! Goodwill of NEPA is hosting their 2nd Annual Red Velvet Fashion Show Saturday February 9th at 1pm. Goodwill Industries of NEPA Edwardsville store!
*Under the big tree at the Barnes & Noble Wilkes-King's Bookstore Maisy the Mouse will visit story time. The fun begins at 11 a.m. on Saturday February 9th All children in attendance get a free cookie! Parents, be sure to bring your cameras!
*Ohhh, La La-Jacqueline Hyde, an award winning international burlesque and cabaret entertainer is bringing Pennsylvania a love-centric burlesque extravaganza called Valentease . Valentease will be presented on February 9, 2013 at 8:00PM (Doors @ 7:30pm) at the historic Mauch Chunk Opera House in Jim Thorpe. Call 570-325-0249 Click Here to see Jacqueline's interview on PA Live.
* United Neighborhood Centers 13th Annual Mardi Gras will serve as the kick off for its 90th Year Anniversary Celebration. Presented by Mt. Airy Casino & Resort, Mardi Gras will take place on Saturday, February 9, 2013 at the Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. It will feature live music by Doug Smith's Dixieland All-Stars, dinner with a New Orleans flair and much more. Tickets are $70.00 per person and all proceeds benefit Angel's Attic, UNC's emergency food and clothing bank. For tickets for Mardi Gras or for information on UNC, contact (570) 346-0759 or visit www.uncnepa.org.
* A Roast Turkey Dinner will be held on February 9th from 4-6pm at Holy Spirit Lutheran Church, 10275 State Route 44, Watsontown, Between McEwensville and Turbotville on Route 44. Dinner will feature Roast Turkey with all the sides, sherbet and a beverage. Tickers are $8.00 for adults, $4.00 for children 4-8 years old.
*The Observatory at Bucknell University will host a Family Night Saturday, Feb. 9, from 6:30 to 9 p.m. The event, which will be held rain or shine, will focus on activities for children and their families. It is free and open to the public, sponsored by the Department of Physics and Astronomy at Bucknell. Local singer/songwriter Billy Kelly will entertain children with songs about stars, constellations and other celestial phenomena. Ned Ladd, associate professor of physics, will present "Rainbow, Prisms and Starlight: the Wonders of Light," an interactive talk designed for children of all ages.
* New Visions Studio & Gallery, located at
201 Vine St. in downtown Scranton is opening their photography darkroom to the
public on Saturday February 9th from 12pm to 6pm. Space is limited and usage
will be on a first come first serve basis. During this free darkroom day, analog
photographers can come develop film and make prints in the darkroom at no cost
to them. Any photographer or darkroom hobbyist may use New Visions darkroom,
but it is required that they have training and experience working in a darkroom
and have knowledge of the process.
Additional information can be found on the New Visions website at www.newvisionsstudio.com
*Endless Mountains Model Railroad Club will meet Saturday, Feb. 9, at 6
p.m. New members are welcome. For more information check out the club's
website at http://emmrrc.wix.com/trains.
*National Salute to Veterans Week will be observed from February 10th through February 16th. The Wilkes-Barre VA Medical Center will kick off a week of activities with a short ceremony to salute our Veterans on Sunday, February 10th, from 1:30 - 2:00 p.m. in Liberty Hall on the 2nd Floor of the Medical Center.
* The Chinchilla Hose Company's annual Lenten pizza sale beginning Friday, February 15th and continuing every Friday during lent. Red and White-Broccoli pizza will be available for pickup from the fire house on Shady Lane Road in Chinchilla from 2pm till 7pm. Orders can be placed on the day of the sale by calling 570-586-5726. All proceeds benefit the operations and needed equipment of the Chinchilla Hose Company of South Abington Township.
*The King's College Theatre Department will host the regional premiere of Patrick Barlow's comedy "The 39 Steps" at 7:30 p.m. on Feb. 14-16, 21-23 and at 2 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 17, in the George P. Maffei II Theatre.
*Wilkes University Theatre will present the musical archy & mehitabel. The performances will take place Feb. 15, 16, 22, 23 at 8 p.m. and Feb. 17, 24 at 2 p.m. at the Dorothy Dickson Darte Center.
* The Schuylkill YMCA will be movin' and groovin' when it hosts the second annual YMCA Aerobathon & Ladies Night Out on Wednesday, Feb. 13, from 5 to 8 p.m.
*Marywood University willpresent
its 11th Annual "Celebrate Your Body Wellness Fair" on Thursday,
February 21. The fair will be held from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the Fireplace
Lounge of Nazareth Student Center on Marywood's campus. This event is free and
open to the community.
The "Celebrate Your Body Wellness Fair" is an interactive program used to promote positive body image, fitness and personal health. There will be informational booths, featuring topics such as personal health care, nutrition, health screenings, osteoporosis, skin cancer prevention, physical fitness, and positive body image. Other highlights of the fair will be massages, facials, tips on skin care for winter months, dorm room exercise ideas, demonstrations on yoga, Zumba, and self-defense strategies.
*The Susquehanna River Arts group will have a show at Artspace Gallery in Bloomsburg through Sunday, Feb. 24, 2013. Regular gallery hours: Thurs., Fri., and Sat.: noon until 8 pm; Sun.: noon until 5 pm. The Susquehanna River Arts group is made up of artists living in Columbia and Montour Counties; several different media will be represented: fiber, clay, painting, photography, mixed media wall pieces and sculptures, drawing and printing.
*High Point Baptist Church, located at 1919 Mountain Road in Larksville, will be holding a Free Clothing Giveaway, on Saturday, February 16, from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM at the church. Local consignment shops as well as church members donate the clothing twice each year to be redistributed within our community. Clothing for infants, children and some adults will be made available. For more information call High Point Baptist Church 570.371.4404, or visit their website at www.highpointchurch.info.
*Everyone knows that owls are nocturnal, flying about and doing what owls do under the cover of darkness. But where are they during the day? Learn where and how to look for these secretive birds on their daytime roosts during this hike on February 23, 2013, Saturdayat Kettle Creek from 10 a.m. to 12 noon with Environmental Educator Brian Hardiman. If we're lucky, we may even find an owl or two! Cost: $5/non-member, $3/EE Center member. Dress for the weather.
To pre-register for the program, please call the Center at (570) 629-3061, Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and most Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Coming up in March
A Household Auction will be held Sunday March 3rd beginning at 1pm at The South Creek Lions Club on Route 14 in Gillett. All proceeds will benefit the Lions Club. Anyone wishing to donate good clean household items for the auction may drop them off at the Club February 25th-March1st between 3 and 6pm. Refreshments will be available. Auctioneer Randy Jeliff is donating his services for this benefit. A Chicken Bar B Q is also scheduled to coincide with this event.
A Baked Haddock fish dinner sponsored by Saints Cyril and Methodius Ukrainian Catholic Church in Olyphant will be held on March 22 from 5 to 7 pm. Tickets are $12 . Call 489-4348 for tickets by March 18.
Notre Dame United School System will host a "Bags and Bangles" Bingo on March 10 .
The event will be held at St. Luke's parish Center on 818 Main Street in Stroudsburg. The event will run from 2 to 5 pm. Advance Tickets are $25- $35 at the door. Proceeds benefit scholarship and students at the Notre Dame School in Stroudsburg. For info email@example.com
* It is almost time for the Easter Bunny- A Breakfast with the Easter Bunny will be held on Saturday, March 2. The event will be held at Nesquehoning hose Co #1 in Nesquehoning. There will be two seatings 9AM and 10AM Seating Call 570-669-6684 for Reservations
$5.00 per person
*Trucksville United Methodist Church Craft Show, Saturday, March 2, 2013, 10 AM to 2 PM, This year's event includes Crafts, Jewelry,a Lunch Counter and Bake Sale! Tables are $25.00 to $40.00, And all proceeds support our Mission Projects!
*A benefit will be held on March 24th at the Dupont Hose Company for the benefit of Blue Chip Farm No Kill Animal Refuge. The event will run from 2 pm to 6 pm. Tickets are $10 and include food, soda, dessert. Entertainment Provided by the Fabuluous Teddy Young and the Aces and the DAWGS. Bring along cat litter, dog or cat food or treats, paper towels or cleaning supplies and receive two raffle tickets. For more information or to RSVP call 313-6574 or 237-1867
*Spring Craft and Vendor Show and Sale, Saturday, March 16th, 9 am - 2 pm, Mount Pocono United Methodist Church, Rt. 611 next to PNC Bank, Mt. Pocono. Vendors include Origami Owl, Thirty-one, Pampered Chef, Scentsy, hand crafted items, chocolate, and much more! Just in time for St. Patrick's Day, Easter, and Mother's Day. Bake Sale too! To reserve a table call 839-1646 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Benefit Kids' Day Out Preschool - 25 years of friends, faith, and learning.
* Wyoming Valley Motorcycle Club and Valley With a Heart Benefits are in the final planning stages of the 2013 NEPA Motorcycle and PowerSports Show to be held at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza on April 14, 2013 from Noon to 5 PM. Proceeds from the show will provide much-needed financial support to Wyoming Valley Children's Association
*On Saturday, April 27 A Fundraiser to Benefit Fallen Officers Remembered will be held at the Checkerboard Inn, Carverton Rd., Trucksville from 1 to 5pm