Dunmore, Lackawanna County - There is mixed reaction to a lawsuit filed late Wednesday involving NCAA sanctions handed down last year to the Penn State football program.
Governor Tom Corbett held a news conference Wednesday morning to outline the lawsuit.
The paperwork was later filed in federal court in Harrisburg.
Penn State University released a statement saying it has no involvement in the case. The statement said the university is committed to "full compliance" with the consent decree.
Football fans and members of the public had mixed reaction to the lawsuit.
Some agreed with Governor Corbett saying the sanctions, which call for a $60 million fine and four-year bowl ban, are too tough in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky scandal.
"When one person messes up, they should have to deal with it and not everybody else," Jennifer Reed of Conshohocken said. "There are students here that enjoy their school, they love their school and people that have been in the school and they don't want to have their reputation tarnished because of one person."
Other people feel the sanctions should stand.
They say Governor Corbett has no basis to challenge the NCAA in federal court.
"I don't think they were too harsh. I think the message was sent loud and clear," Robert Simkonis of West Scranton said.
While some people locally worry about the economic impact the sanctions will have in places like State College, those who agree with the governor's position say it boils down to the current students.
"I think the sanctions were too tough," Stephen Butruce of Clarks Summit said. "I don't think they should punish the future kids that are there now. They had nothing to do with it."