Butler Township, Luzerne County-- A family of three is left without a place to stay following a fire at their new home late Sunday night.
Now-- just one day before Christmas-- local firefighters are doing what they can to brighten the holiday.
We're told it's a mother, father, and a 10-year-old girl without a roof over their heads on this Christmas Eve.
But if Valley Regional firefighters have their way, the holiday will still be salvaged to some degree.
It was around 10:00 Sunday night when fire crews were called to the 200 block of Lake Vista Court.
That's in the Beech Mountain Lakes development of Butler Township.
Eyewitness video from Gabriela Casas-- who live about 50 yards away--shows flames roaring at the height of the inferno.
She recalled, "We see a huge fire going on, and we all got out to see what it was. It was really big and we were afraid it was going to get around the trees and spread."
We're told a family of three had just moved into the home the day before, on Saturday.
They all escaped the blaze safely-- but many of their possessions were destroyed.
Casas continued, "We saw a propane tank and we were afraid-- really afraid-- it would explode. But, thank God it didn't. We saw the top of the roof collapse right on top."
Officials say the fire appears to have started in a chimney.
Crews tell us the rural location of the home made it hard to reach.
They had to bring in extra water tankers to battle the blaze.
And as bad as the damage looked, neighbors say it could have been much worse.
Casas added, "It's kind of a dead end. So it was hard for them (firefighters) to come in. So we were still a little scared. But thankfully, they got the water going and they calmed it down as soon as they could."
We're told the Red Cross is now helping out the family of three as they figure out what to do next.
A state police fire marshal is expected on scene today to determine the exact cause of the devastating blaze.
Meanwhile, Valley Regional firefighters are collecting new toys and clothing to help the family salvage something from this holiday season.
Donations can be dropped off at the Valley Regional firehouse along West Butler Drive in Drums today (Monday) for what will certainly be a very special Christmas delivery.