Firefighters in a community ripped apart by a deadly blaze.. work to make sure it never happens again. As the people of honesdale, in wayne county.. come to grips with the fire that killed five people yesterday.. The local fire company is spreading the word.. about safety. Firefighters focused on what to do in the event of an emergency.. educating children and adults alike. On Thursday morning, you`ll recall flames ripped through this home in Honesdale killing two young women.. and three children.. all under the age of five. The home had smoke detectors but none of them worked. Now the Honesdale Fire Chief is hoping the tragedy will serve as a reminder to others. Chief stan pratt, Honesdale Fire Deptartment.: "These young children go home and tell their parents -- daddy have we checked our smoke detectors? Have we changed the batteries? These messages get home to parents from children faster than parents will pick it up from other sources." Honesdale Firefighters gave out about 40 free smoke detectors tonight.. If you need one -- contact your local fire department.