Covington Township, Lackawanna County - We're learning more tonight about the man who was killed Sunday morning in a fire in Covington Township.
The Lackawanna County coroner has just identified the victim as 69-year-old Robert Hemphill.
The notification took a little longer than normal because the victim's wife is currently overseas on a trip with the North Pocono Rotary Club.
Friends say Hemphill was a well-known volunteer in the community as well, in addition to a decorated war hero.
"When I got the call about it, I was like, I couldn't stop say 'oh my God,'" friend Alyce Bernatovich said.
Bernatovich was a friend of the 69-year-old. As the fire debris still smoldered, Bernatovich said the victim was very involved and known across his community.
"He was very friendly to everybody. He didn't have an unkind word to say about anybody," Bernatovich said.
At the VFW Post 5207 in nearby Daleville, members were also mourning the fire victim Monday. He had previously served as a past commander at the VFW.
"He was a past commander here," Senior Vice Commander John Croom said. "He filled in as quartermaster. He did everything we wanted him to do here at the post. We'd ask him to do something and he was always there to help us."
Members call Hemphill a "gentle giant" who would have helped anyone.
"I have a feeling that he was very, very happy with his life and he done what he wanted to do," friend Dean Bedsworth said.
Friends say Hemphill was also a decorated Vietnam Veteran. He had earned the Silver Star, Legion of Merit, Purple Heart and four Bronze Stars.
He was also involved in the North Pocono Rotary Club and the Moscow Masonic Lodge.
"Everytime there was something going on, they were saying, we're going to this function, we have to go here, we have to go there," Bernatovich.
The coroner says Hemphill died because of carbon monoxide poisoning after the deadly fire in Lackawanna County.