Plenty of events going on this weekend and in the days ahead! Enjoy!
You can always find more events on our Calendar of Events or under the community link right here on PAHomepage.com
February 23rd and 24th
Crystal Cabin Fever, Lakeville, PA - Present's the final two Professional Ice Carving Competitions, February 23rd and 24th, 2013.
On Saturday, February 23rd from 12-4 PM, the professional sculptors will have two (2) each 300# blocks of crystal clear ice to create a masterpiece in the "Prehistoric" theme in a four hour time frame. On Sunday, February 24th beginning at 12 Noon, Cabin Fever will host its fourth "Elimination Style" Speed competition. In this format the carver will each be given a single 300# block of ice and will only have 20 minutes per each carving round. Crystal Cabin Fever is located at Sculpted Ice Works in Lakeville, PA on Rt. 590 between Hawley and Hamlin.
*Wilkes University Theatre will present the musical Archy & Mehitabel. The performances will take place Feb. 23 at 8 p.m. and Feb. 24, at 2 p.m. at the Dorothy Dickson Darte Center.
The Music Box Player presents "Annie" at the Music Box Dinner Playhouse, 196 Hughes St., Swoyersville performances 23 and 24. Show times Friday and Saturday are at 8 pm, Sunday at 3 pm. For reservations, call 283-2195
* On Saturday February 23, 2013 JFBB will present the Sixth annual "Ski for the Cure" Breast Cancer Awareness Day at Jack Frost Ski Area, Blakeslee. On February 23, registration begins at 8:00 am in the main lodge at Jack Frost. That's when you bring your donations get your badge and Ski for the Cure in the Ski-A-Thon. Between 9:00 am and 10:00am the "Pink Olympic" timed race gates on the Ridge Run trail for a $5.00 donation and a medal ceremony later in the day. At 11:00 am we gather at the top of the Exhibition Trail for a Dedication Run.
*Rise and Shine! Applebee's Flapjack fundraiser Breakfast to support the Lungevity Foundation, Breathe Deep NEPA! Applebee's Neighborhood Bar & Grill, 253 Wilkes- Barre Township Blvd, Saturday, February 23rd , 8 a.m. to 10 a.m.- $6.75 Per Person- Price includes Coffee, Tea, Juice, Flapjacks, and sausage. *Walk-ins are welcome
**The King's College Theatre Department will host the regional premiere of Patrick Barlow's comedy "The 39 Steps" at 7:30 p.m. on Feb. 23 in the George P. Maffei II Theatre.
*Everyone knows that owls are nocturnal, flying about and doing what owls do under the cover of darkness. But where are they during the day? Learn where and how to look for these secretive birds on their daytime roosts during this hike on February 23, 2013, Saturdayat Kettle Creek from 10 a.m. to 12 noon with Environmental Educator Brian Hardiman. If we're lucky, we may even find an owl or two! Cost: $5/non-member, $3/EE Center member. Dress for the weather.To pre-register for the program, please call the Center at (570) 629-3061, Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and most Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
The official Vatican replica of the Shroud of Turin, is on display at St. Michael's Church in Shenandoah. The actual Shroud, in safekeeping in the royal chapel of the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Turin, Italy, is thought by many to be the burial cloth of Jesus Christ. The shroud will be available for viewing until March 9.
*A Free Fellowship Meal is scheduled at St. John's Lutheran Church on Thursday, February 28, 4:30pm-6:30pm, 6590 Musser Lane, Watsontown. Menu: Spanish rice with meat, Texas toast, tossed salad, fruit cup, dessert and beverage. Everyone welcome.
* New show at Artspace Gallery: 221 Center Street, Bloomsburg, : Eclectic Storm; All new abstract work in oil by Larry Ney 11
February 28, 2013 - April 7, 2013
Artist Reception: March 9, 2013, 6 pm - 8 pm
Gallery hours: Thursday - Saturday: noon 'til 8 pm; Sunday: noon 'til 5 pm
* Lawrence Lang of Shickshinny will display a variety of landscape and macro photographs in an exhibition titled, "A Closer Look," in King's College Widmann Gallery from Monday, Feb. 25, through Friday, April 5
* The Chinchilla Hose Company's annual Lenten pizza every Friday during lent. Red and White-Broccoli pizza will be available for pickup from the fire house on Shady Lane Road in Chinchilla from 2pm till 7pm. Orders can be placed on the day of the sale by calling 570-586-5726. All proceeds benefit the operations and needed equipment of the Chinchilla Hose Company of South Abington Township.
* The Pike County Historical Society is once again offering its winter music series. "Winter Wednesdays" will begin on February 27th with a trio led by Terri Dixon, whose vocal ability is sure to impress. Terri has enlisted Jane Mangini on keyboards and Sandy Bookey on drums to offer an impressive variety of tunes sure to delight. The show starts at 7pm in the cabaret style setting of the Foundation Room of the Columns Museum.
On March 6th the series will bring Walt Edwards to the stage. Edwards has an impressive resume and repertoire which focuses on some of the great singers and songwriters of the 60's and 70's. Jazz vocalist Martha Lorin will be closing this year's series. Martha has brought her unforgettable vocal talent and smooth style to the stage for the benefit of the museum each of the years Winter Wednesdays has been offered. Reservations required. Ask about our discounted "Season Pass" which covers all three shows. Call 570-296-8918
Coming up in March
* Budget-minded high school girls looking for great prom dresses at modest prices will get some help from Wilkes University students in March. Students involved in the University's Relay for Life event benefiting the American Cancer Society are collecting gently used prom dresses from now until March 16.The dresses will be sold on March 16 at an event on the first floor of the Henry Student Center, 84 W. South St., Wilkes-Barre, from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Proceeds will benefit the Relay for Life
*Promoting Pride in Public Square, an impact group of Leadership Wilkes-Barre, will host a benefit Saturday, March 2 at Rodano's in downtown Wilkes-Barre. Money raised will benefit improvements to the Square, including possible construction of a permanent band shell and Beautification efforts. The fundraiser, which takes place from 4-7 p.m., includes food (pizza and Stromboli) and drinks (beer and wine) and live music by Grunge Theory and White and Grey. Gifts and prizes will also be raffled off. Tickets cost $20 and can be purchased in advance from group members or at the door on the day of the event.
*The Downtown Wilkes-Barre Business Association will hold their Fifth Annual Easter Egg Hunt on Public Square, Wilkes-Barre, Saturday March 23 at 10:00 AM. Five thousand eggs will be distributed. Prizes will include bicycles, Easter Baskets, candy and plush toys in three age categories. Children up to 10 years of age are invited to attend. The Easter Bunny will arrive by fire truck and will be available for photos. Click Here to learn more about the Liv with Autism Foundation.
* Liv with Autism Foundation will host the Third Annual Bowling Fundraiser. The event will be held on March 17 at 12PM at Stanton Lanes, 472 Stanton Street in Wilkes Barre. Price Chopper is sponsoring the event with the group.
The donations $25.00 for Adults, $15.00 ages 11 to 16, Children
10 and under and individuals with an Autism Spectrum Disorder are free.
The price includes 3 games of bowling, shoe rental, t-shirt, food & non-alcoholic drinks.
Click Here to learn more about the Liv with Autism Foundation.
*Teens Helping Teens Curiosity, Antiques & Crafts Show, March 2, 2013 - 10 AM to 2 PM, Trucksville United Methodist Church; 40 Knob Hill RD, Trucksville, off 309 at Carverton RD. Collectibles, Fine Antiques, Crafts, Lunch and a Bake Sale! Don't miss out; all proceeds benefit our Mission Projects! Are you a vendor who would like to reserve a spot? Call Noreen at (570) 239-2348
**First annual half-naked "Winter Walk For Animals" in Tamaqua on Saturday, March 9, 2013 starting at 9 AM to protest winter and weather-related cruelty to animals.
All walkers are asked, BUT NOT REQUIRED, to wear swimming shorts, bikinis, bathing suits, or funny costumes. Yep, brrrrr!!
The event is free and there is no pre-registration required. All walkers are asked to be inside the Tamaqua YMCA no later that 8:45 AM.
For the welfare and safety of all the walkers, NO PETS are allowed in the walk. The one-mile 20-minute walk will start at the Tamaqua YMCA (1201 East Broad Street) and end at the Tamaqua Area Adult Day Care Center (300 West Broad Street).
*A Household Auction will be held Sunday March 3rd beginning at 1pm at The South Creek Lions Club on Route 14 in Gillett. All proceeds will benefit the Lions Club. Anyone wishing to donate good clean household items for the auction may drop them off at the Club February 25th-March1st between 3 and 6pm. Refreshments will be available. Auctioneer Randy Jeliff is donating his services for this benefit. A Chicken Bar B Q is also scheduled to coincide with this event.
*Come on down to the The Cooperage on Friday, March 1st from 7:00 to 10:00pm for a night of games. Board games, card games, brain games- They will have all kinds of games to play. But if you have a favorite We're willing to try anything. (Well, almost anything!) So, dust off your board games, we encourage you to bring it!, practice your shuffle, do some stretches, and get ready for a night of friendly competition. Donations greatly appreciated. Snacks available for purchase. The Cooperage is operated by the The Cooperage Project, a not-for-profit organization that seeks to build community through performance, learning and good times. For more information visit www.thecooperageproject.org or call 570.253.2020.
* Discover Northeastern Pennsylvania's finest wedding options and get advice from experts all in one place. Attend the Irem Clubhouse Bridal Showcase on Sunday, March 3, at the Irem Clubhouse, located at 64 Ridgway Drive, Dallas, Pa. Doors open at noon, and admission is free. Enjoy hors d'oeuvres and refreshments while you explore the Irem Clubhouse Grand Ballroom. Learn about planning your wedding with information from Irem Clubhouse's exclusive bridal vendors. The showcase will feature a Bridal Fashion Show with fashions from Bridal Chateau at 1:30 p.m. and door prizes.This event is open to the public. Call 570-675-1134, ext. 100, or visit www.iremclubhouse.com to make your reservation.
*Saints Cyril and Methodius Ukrainian Catholic Church, Olyphant, Pa will be sponsoring our 2nd Annual "Meatless Meal for Lent" a Baked Haddock Dinner on Friday March 22, 2013 from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. at the Regal Room, 216 Lackawanna Ave., Olyphant, Pa SIT DOWN OR TAKE OUT. Dinner includes: baked haddock, potato, vegetable, cole-slaw, roll and dessert. Pre-sold ticket at $12.00/per ticket/dinner. Call Cheryl by Monday, March 18th for reservations at 570-489-4348 No tickets will be available at the door.
Call 489-4348 for tickets by March 18.
* Notre Dame United School System will host a "Bags and Bangles" Bingo on March 10 .
The event will be held at St. Luke's parish Center on 818 Main Street in Stroudsburg. The event will run from 2 to 5 pm. Advance Tickets are $25- $35 at the door. Proceeds benefit scholarship and students at the Notre Dame School in Stroudsburg. For info firstname.lastname@example.org
* It is almost time for the Easter Bunny- A Breakfast with the Easter Bunny will be held on Saturday, March 2. The event will be held at Nesquehoning hose Co #1 in Nesquehoning. There will be two seatings 9AM and 10AM Seating Call 570-669-6684 for Reservations
$5.00 per person
*American Cancer Society's Relay for Life Fundraiser: "Metro's Mission" Polar Bear Plunge Saturday, March 16th beginning at Noon at the Garrity Realty Pole 89, Harvey's Lake. $10 to plunge, E-mail Susan Halbasch at email@example.com for more details.
*Sell your one-of-a-kind products at the Spring Craft and Gift Fair on Saturday, March 16, from 11 a.m. - 4 p.m., in the Irem Clubhouse Grand Ballroom, located at 64 Ridgway Drive, Dallas, Pa. Admittance for shoppers is free, and refreshments will be available for cash purchase.
Vendor tables are $15. Please call 570-675-1134, ext. 100, to reserve a table by March 8.
* The Junior League of Williamsport will host their annual Cinderella's Closet event at the Community Arts Center in Williamsport. The event will be held on March 23.Many young ladies will be given the opportunity to buy a Prom dress and for only $10 (and if needed free
*Trucksville United Methodist Church Craft Show, Saturday, March 2, 2013, 10 AM to 2 PM,
This year's event includes Crafts, Jewelry,a Lunch Counter and Bake Sale! Tables are $25.00 to $40.00,
And all proceeds support our Mission Projects!
*A benefit will be held on March 24th at the Dupont Hose Company for the benefit of Blue Chip Farm No Kill Animal Refuge. The event will run from 2 pm to 6 pm. Tickets are $10 and include food, soda, and dessert. Entertainment Provided by the Fabulous Teddy Young and the Aces and the DAWGS. Bring along cat litter, dog or cat food or treats, paper towels or cleaning supplies and receive two raffle tickets. For more information or to RSVP call 313-6574 or 237-1867
* The Lake Wynonah Athletic Group (LWAG) will conduct our Third Annual Leap in the Lake event. The group will again donate event proceeds to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. The group was instrumental in having the wish granted of last year's recipient. .This event, being held on March 17, 2013 at Noon, will be held at our community Marina. There will also be a photo booth and food!
Spring Craft and Vendor Show and Sale, Saturday, March 16th, 9 am - 2 pm, Mount Pocono United Methodist Church, Rt. 611 next to PNC Bank, Mt. Pocono. Vendors include Origami Owl, Thirty-one, Pampered Chef, Scentsy, hand crafted items, chocolate, and much more! Just in time for St. Patrick's Day, Easter, and Mother's Day. Bake Sale too! To reserve a table call 839-1646 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Benefit Kids' Day Out Preschool - 25 years of friends, faith, and learning.