Plenty of events going on this weekend and in the days ahead! Enjoy!
You can always find more events on our Calendar of Events or under the community link right here on PAHomepage.com
The Annual Saint Patrick's Day parade in Scranton-is today! Join the fun in downtown Scranton or watch the parade live on WYOU-TV or on PAHomepage! Mark Hiller, Candice Kelly, and Dave Kuharchik are your hosts! The parade coverage begins at 12 noon.
The Most Reverend Joseph C. Bambera, D.D., J.C.L., Bishop of Scranton, will celebrate the Mass preceding the St. Patrick's Parade. The liturgy will be held this Saturday, March 9, at 10 a.m. at St. Peter's Cathedral, Scranton.
Here are the dates and times of other Saint Patrick's Day parades in our area:
Jim Thorpe, Carbon County: March 10 (1 p.m.)
Williamsport, Lycoming County: March 16 (11 a.m.)
Wilkes-Barre, Luzerne County: March 16 (2 p.m.)
Girardville, Schuylkill County: March 23 (noon)
Stroudsburg, Monroe County: March 24 (1:30 p.m.)
March 9th and 10th
Charlie Wysocki and C. Terry Walters Author Signing
Former local football and wrestling champion Charlie Wysocki tells his story about his spiral down to a depth from which few have ever returned. Charlie still fights today for redemption and a shot at the happiness that mental illness has denied him.Saturday March 09, 2:00 PM Barnes and Noble, Arena Hub Plaza.
*Charlie Wysocki and C. Terry Walters, along with Owen Dougherty and Jan Mroz of NAMI's Scranton Chapter will join Jayne Ann Bugda and Andy Mehalshick on Newsmakers, Sunday, March 10th-6:30 a.m on WYOU and 11 a.m. on WBRE.
* Members of the Scranton Police Department are using the city's upcoming parade to raise money for their K-9 unit.
For the second year in a row officers are selling *Paw-rade* Shirts.
The shirts will be sold from 10:00 am until 8:00 pm in the lobby of the Scranton Police Headquarters
** Artist Reception: March 9, 2013, 6 pm - 8 pm for a New show at Artspace Gallery: 221 Center Street, Bloomsburg, : Eclectic Storm; All new abstract work in oil by Larry Ney 11
The art work will be on display until April 7, 2013
Gallery hours: Thursday - Saturday: noon 'til 8 pm; Sunday: noon 'til 5 pm
Today is the final day for you to visit the official Vatican replica of the Shroud of Turin, is on display at St. Micheal's Church in Shenandoah. The actual Shroud, in safekeeping in the royal chapel of the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Turin, Italy, is thought by many to be the burial cloth of Jesus Christ
***First annual half-naked "Winter Walk For Animals" in Tamaqua on Saturday, March 9, 2013 starting at 9 AM to protest winter and weather-related cruelty to animals.
All walkers are asked, BUT NOT REQUIRED, to wear swimming shorts, bikinis, bathing suits, or funny costumes. Yep, brrrrr!!
The event is free and there is no per-registration required. All walkers are asked to be inside the Tamaqua YMCA no later than 8:45 AM.
For the welfare and safety of all the walkers, NO PETS are allowed in the walk. The one-mile 20-minute walk will start at the Tamaqua YMCA (1201 East Broad Street) and end at the Tamaqua Area Adult Day Care Center (300 West Broad Street).
* Eckley Miners' Village Charter Day will be held on March 10th from 1pm to 5 pm, Free Admission. Mr. Jim Burke will provide interesting stories on the making of the The Molly Maguries Movie. Then the movie will be show immediately after. For Info, call 570-636-2070 visit www.eckleyminersvillagemuseum.com
* Notre Dame United School System will host a "Bags and Bangles" Bingo on March 10 .
The event will be held at St. Luke's parish Center on 818 Main Street in Stroudsburg. The event will run from 2 to 5 pm. Advance Tickets are $25- $35 at the door. Proceeds benefit scholarship and students at the Notre Dame School in Stroudsburg. For info firstname.lastname@example.org
*St. Stephen's Episcopal Pro-Cathedral will celebrate the Tenth Anniversary of the dedication of its Berghaus pipe organ with a concert by renowned organist Ken Cowan on Sunday, March 10 at 4:00 p.m. Tickets are $15.00 and $10.00 for students, senior citizens (65+), and WVIA members. Tickets may be purchased at the door. St. Stephen's has a rich history and Anglican tradition. Current services are held on Sundays at 8 AM and 10:30 AM under the leadership of Father Daniel Gunn. This concert is presented by the Music at St. Stephen's Committee.
* The Scranton High School Knight Players proudly present the Broadway musical monster-hit Annie March 15-19th at the Scranton High School Performing Arts Theatre. The production will run March 15th and 16th at 7:00PM, March 17th matinee at 1:00PM, and March 18th and 19thclosed shows for Elementary and Middle Schools. Tickets are $10 General Admission and $6 Students and Seniors. Tickets can be obtained at the school box office, online at www.shsknightplayers.com, or by calling 1(800) 838-3006
*Williamsport PA will be holding their 2nd Annual St Patrick's Parade on March 16th starting at 11:00am. The parade will start at Campbell and West Fourth Street and head east on West Fourth Street ending at Market Street. This parade is put on by The City of Williamsport and Clear Channel Media + Entertainment. More information can be found at www.kiss1027fm.com
*Fell Township Renaissance will hold its annual Lunch with the Easter Bunny event on Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 12 noon. The event, to be held at the Hall on Doris Ave., Simpson will feature lunch with the Bunny, pictures, candy and prizes. Each child in attendance will receive a prize. Admission for children and adults will be $4 each. For tickets and information call 785-5130
*A Free Fellowship Meal is scheduled at St. John's Lutheran Church on Thursday, March 21, 4:30pm-6:30pm, 6590 Musser Lane, Watsontown. Menu: Baked fish, macaroni and cheese, stewed tomatoes, sliced peaches, dessert and beverage. Everyone welcome.
* The Easter Bunny is hosting a brunch buffet for you and your family. Attend Brunch with the Bunny on Sunday, March 24, from 9 a.m. - 2 p.m., at the Irem Clubhouse Restaurant and Pub, located at 64 Ridgway Drive in Dallas, Pa. Pack your camera so you can take pictures with the Easter Bunny for free.
Brunch costs $11.95 for adults and $6.95 for children. This event is open for the public. Reservations are required; call 570-675-1134, ext. 102.
* Lawrence Lang of Shickshinny will display a variety of landscape and macro photographs in an exhibition titled, "A Closer Look," in King's College Widmann Gallery through Friday, April 5
* The Chinchilla Hose Company's annual Lenten pizza every Friday during lent. Red and White-Broccoli pizza will be available for pickup from the fire house on Shady Lane Road in Chinchilla from 2pm till 7pm. Orders can be placed on the day of the sale by calling 570-586-5726. All proceeds benefit the operations and needed equipment of the Chinchilla Hose Company of South Abington Township.
* The Pike County Historical Society is once again offering its winter music series. "Winter Wednesdays" Jazz vocalist Martha Lorin will be closing this year's series. Martha has brought her unforgettable vocal talent and smooth style to the stage for the benefit of the museum each of the years Winter Wednesdays has been offered. Reservations required.. Call 570-296-8918
* Budget-minded high school girls looking for great prom dresses at modest prices will get some help from Wilkes University students in March. Students involved in the University's Relay for Life event benefiting the American Cancer Society are collecting gently used prom dresses from now until March 16. The dresses will be sold on March 16 at an event on the first floor of the Henry Student Center, 84 W. South St., Wilkes-Barre, from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Proceeds will benefit the Relay for Life
*The Downtown Wilkes-Barre Business Association will hold their Fifth Annual Easter Egg Hunt on Public Square, Wilkes-Barre, Saturday March 23 at 10:00 AM. Five thousand eggs will be distributed. Prizes will include bicycles, Easter Baskets, candy and plush toys in three age categories. Children up to 10 years of age are invited to attend. The Easter Bunny will arrive by fire truck and will be available for photos
*Saints Cyril and Methodius Ukrainian Catholic Church, Olyphant, Pa will be sponsoring our 2nd Annual "Meatless Meal for Lent" a Baked Haddock Dinner on Friday March 22, 2013 from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. at the Regal Room, 216 Lackawanna Ave., Olyphant, Pa SIT DOWN OR TAKE OUT. Dinner includes: baked haddock, potato, vegetable, cole-slaw, roll and dessert. Pre-sold ticket at $12.00/per ticket/dinner. Call Cheryl by Monday, March 18th for reservations at 570-489-4348 No tickets will be available at the door.
Call 489-4348 for tickets by March 18.
*American Cancer Society's Relay for Life Fundraiser: "Metro's Mission" Polar Bear Plunge Saturday, March 16th beginning at Noon at the Garrity Realty Pole 89, Harvey's Lake. $10 to plunge, E-mail Susan Halbasch at email@example.com for more details.
*Sell your one-of-a-kind products at the Spring Craft and Gift Fair on Saturday, March 16, from 11 a.m. - 4 p.m., in the Irem Clubhouse Grand Ballroom, located at 64 Ridgway Drive, Dallas, Pa. Admittance for shoppers is free, and refreshments will be available for cash purchase.
Vendor tables are $15. Please call 570-675-1134, ext. 100, to reserve a table by March 8.
* The Junior League of Williamsport will host their annual Cinderella's Closet event at the Community Arts Center in Williamsport. The event will be held on March 23.
Many young ladies will be given the opportunity to buy a Prom dress
*Bring your pets and children and get adorable pictures with the Waggin' Tails Easter Bunny. Come and meet some of our pets available for adoption. Come on Saturday, March 23 from 11 am to 3 PM at Pet Supplies Plus, next to Party City, 101 Pocono Commons, Route 611, Stroudsburg.
*A benefit will be held on March 24th at the Dupont Hose Company for the benefit of Blue Chip Farm No Kill Animal Refuge. The event will run from 2 pm to 6 pm. Tickets are $10 and include food, soda, and dessert. Entertainment Provided by the Fabulous Teddy Young and the Aces and the DAWGS. Bring along cat litter, dog or cat food or treats, paper towels or cleaning supplies and receive two raffle tickets. For more information or to RSVP call 313-6574 or 237-1867
* The Lake Wynonah Athletic Group (LWAG) will conduct our Third Annual Leap in the Lake event. We will again donate event proceeds to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. The group was instrumental in having the wish granted of last year's recipient. .This event, being held on March 17, 2013 at Noon, will be held at our community Marina. There will also be a photo booth and food!
* Liv with Autism Foundation will host the Third Annual Bowling Fundraiser. The event will be held on March 17 at 12PM at Stanton Lanes, 472 Stanton Street in Wilkes Barre. Price Chopper is sponsoring the event with the group.
The donations $25.00 for Adults, $15.00 ages 11 to 16, Children
10 and under and individuals with an Autism Spectrum Disorder are free.
The price includes 3 games of bowling, shoe rental, t-shirt, food & non-alcoholic drinks.
*Spring Craft and Vendor Show and Sale, Saturday, March 16th, 9 am - 2 pm, Mount Pocono United Methodist Church, Rt. 611 next to PNC Bank, Mt. Pocono. Vendors include Origami Owl, Thirty-one, Pampered Chef, Scentsy, hand crafted items, chocolate, and much more! Just in time for St. Patrick's Day, Easter, and Mother's Day. Bake Sale too! To reserve a table call 839-1646 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Benefit Kids' Day Out Preschool - 25 years of friends, faith, and learning.
*CLAM CHOWDER AND BREAD SALE: Dunmore Presbyterian Church, 137 Chestnut Street, March 8th, from 4 to 6 pm, Take out only-Donation $10-for a quart of soup and small loaf of baked bread. Call 343-6807 for tickets
Chicken & waffle dinner served family style on March 16, 2013 at the Muncy Area Fire Company in Clarkstown. Serving from 4:30 till 7:00p.m. Cost is $8.00 for adults and $4.00 for children 6-12.
VIVE Health and Fitness will be hosting their 1st Indoor Cycling
Benefit for the "Fallen Officers Remembered" nonprofit organization on
Saturday March 16th from 8:00 a.m to 2:00 p.m. We will be offering a
free t-shirt to all participants registered by March 8th and great door
prizes! The event is open to the community and cost $25.00 for a 50
minute cycle class. The proceeds from the event will be used toward the
purchase of body armor vests for our local officers to save and protect
The Psychological Services Center at Marywood University will host an Eating Disorder Screening program on Thursday, April 4th. The screenings will be free and anonymous. The event will be held from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the Psychological Services Center on campus
* Wyoming Valley Motorcycle Club and Valley With a Heart Benefits are in the final planning stages of the 2013 NEPA Motorcycle and PowerSports Show to be held at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza on April 14, 2013 from Noon to 5 PM. Proceeds from the show will provide much-needed financial support to Wyoming Valley Children's Association
* 3rd Annual Clifton R. Lewis Good Life Foundation Celebrity Basketball Game and Dunk Contest will be held April 27 at 6:30 pm at the Greater Nanicoke Area High School.
The Celebrity Basketball Game and Dunk Contest is the signature fundraising event for the Clifton R. Lewis Good Life Foundation. Held annually at GNA High School in Nanticoke PA, the event attracts professional athletes, celebrities, musicians and spectators from all over the country. They play to raise important funds that go directly toward helping families with Muscular Dystrophy live a better, more accessible life. The foundation helps families through special equipment, accessibility assistance, funding for research and the Dream Creator. In the last two years, the Celebrity Basketball Game has paved the way to help 35 families and make 6 special children's dreams come true!
* Trinity Academy in the Father Walter J. Ciszek Education Center, Cherry and Chestnut streets, will hold its seventh annual theme basket auction April 13 in the former Cardinal Brennan Field House, Fountain Springs.
Doors will open at 5 p.m. and the auction will begin at 7 p.m. with more than 100 themed baskets plus an iPad, Coach, a Penn State autographed football, four one-day Disney Hopper passes and other items.
Shop-and-drops are slated for 5 to 8 p.m. April 12 and 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. April 13.
All proceeds will benefit Trinity Academy, a regional pre-K-8 parochial school that serves all of northern Schuylkill County.
For more information, call the school at 570-462-3927.
On Saturday, April 27 A Fundraiser to Benefit Fallen Officers Remembered will be held at the Checkerboard Inn, Carverton Rd., Trucksville from 1 to 5pm Meal price: $15/adults & $12/kid (age 10 and under) - includes pizza, wings and soda (Eat in only/Walk ins welcome)Raffle Baskets, Music/D.J., Arts and crafts for the kids. A Silent Auction to win the opportunity to throw the first pitch at a RailRiders baseball game!
*Rainbow Riders Horseback Riding for the Handicapped will be holding their annual Volunteer Training Day on April 13, 2013 from 10-2 at Rainbow Riders Ranch-Chestnut St. Troy Pennsylvania. (lunch will be provided) If you love horses and helping others, come see what the program is all about. Learn the benefits of horseback riding and animal assisted activities. FMI 297-0903 or 529-1343. Volunteers are needed in all aspects of the program. We need help in the day to day feeding of the horses and help with fundraising. Rainbow Riders- sharing the love and joy of horses with people with disabilities since 1984.